Sunday, February 11, 2018

February 4, 2018 I know the Gardner loves me


Dear Family, this week went well and also kind of so so.

We had a go week working with investigators and all but when Sunday came, nobody went. We called members to pass by we even got up early to pass by and nobody went. Every missionary passes through this and has the same frustration. By the end of the week is somehow formatted my card on my camera so I lost every picture that I have taken since the mission, unfortunately I learned my lesson by never saving my pictures to another source. I’m still pretty upset by it but I think there is someone her that can help me get my pictures back. My companion got better but maybe too much, I had to have a lot of patience with him this week ha-ha, I likes to joke around a lot. 

But I learned from brother Schetselaar something. 

He told a story about how he always planted potatoes and how he buried them. He would wait for a stem to come up and then he would through more dirt on it.

And when the stem came up he would do that again. So he would keep doing that until a flower blossomed. and he would do that because that’s how he would strengthen the potato, without doing so, the potato wouldn’t have enough strength to support itself. So I learned that I was like that potato this week but what helps is to know that the Gardener is someone that knows and loves me and it’s just to strengthen me. 

This week I was also reading in my journal and I had some great laughs at how I was at the beginning of the mission. My second day of the mission my companion and I had to teach a lesson in the MTC. They gave us these green books that had everything. All you had to do was read out of it and it was simple as that. But my companion and I wanted to teach the lesson without anything but the Book of Mormon and the Bible in Portuguese. We were excited because we were so confident that the gift of tongues was going to kick in and we would be speaking fluently ha ha. We went to teach our lesson and nothing came out! we said nothing! we couldn’t even find james 1:5 in the Portuguese bible. After that lesson I remember just feeling like an idiot and we were pretty discouraged after that. 
I learned that nothing works like that. We have to do our part. When I got to my first area I had an American companion, he helped me a ton but we spoke only English. 

When he got transferred the President sent another American to be my companion, he only had one more transfer then me. So here we have to new Americans in the middle of Brazil that don’t know barely any Portuguese. I’m not going to lie, I thought that the president was crazy! I had no faith that everything would go well.

This was the transfer where I saw the gift of tongues the most. That transfer we hit the standard of excellence with baptisms.  I believe that I was able to speak Portuguese so well because I needed to. I think that our Father likes to let us do what we can do but when we are in need he helps. Who knows maybe I learned how to speak Portuguese so well just because of that transfer when I needed to. 

I’m glad everyone is doing well,

I miss you all and I would send pictures but I got to get all my pictures back unfortunately. 

I hope everyone has a great week.

Love you all
Elder Toma

No comments:

Post a Comment